We provide services to school boards for Electronic Fingerprinting for the Jessica Lunsford Act and other projects such as employee re-printing. We provide scheduling, payment, fingerprint capturing and fingerprint submission services. We do not receive any results directly, all criminal history information goes directly to the school district. We provide these services at no cost to the school district.
The original Jessica Lunsford Act was passed by the 2005 Florida Legislature in response to the abduction and killing of Jessica Lunsford in Citrus County. The law became effective September 1, 2005.
Effective July 1, 2007, the Florida Legislature revised the Jessica Lunsford Act requirements of Florida public school districts, lab schools, charter schools and lab charter schools to conduct criminal history background checks for certain contractors conducting business with public school districts by:
- establishing certain exemptions for criminal history background screenings of contractors (s. 1012.468)
- establishing specific disqualifying criminal offenses for contractors (s. 1012.467)
- requiring the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to retain criminal history information in a statewide system of shared results (FSSR) for a period of 5 years.
- capping the fee a non-instructional contractor may be charged for background screening.
- requiring a criminal history check be performed every five years
- severe criminal penalties for violations of the contractor background screening requirements
These changes will affect you if you have a business relationship withthe School Board and you, your employees or your agents will be on school grounds during the time students are there or have direct contact with students or have access to or control of school funds.
- The actual Florida House bill can be found here. House Bill 1877
- The Florida Department of Education has published a set of guidelines that dictate the ways that school districts must comply. Dept of Education Technical Assistance paper
- The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has released a memorandum regarding their role in the process. FDLE Jessica Lunsford Act Information Page
- FDLE has been asked by the legislature to provide a statewide database for school districts. This database is optional for the school districts to participate in. Some school districts choose not to utilize this database because while they will be able to see the initial criminal history information on the individual, only the other school districts will not receive updates if that individual is subsequently arrested or convicted.